by AJ Adejare
- I have to give props the animation timing for Umaru’s transformation works splendidly. It captures the otaku aspects while at the same time keeping the funniness of Umaru’s personality.
- Umaru is a bonifide troll. Using her regular aspects to consistently get at and act as if nothing happened really shows off how manipulative as it can get. However, it works, and its interesting as it creates the normal setup gag.
- That said, I’m not so fond of Umaru’s gimmick. Making her princess in the streets and otaku in her bedsheets (as in coming home and transforming) makes good comedy, but it also doesn’t make her stand out except. Nagi Sanzenin does the same stuff, only difference is she’s rich and younger. I’m not sure how it’s going to play out in the end.
- Taihei gets no love. He does a lot of the work to keep a roof and yet Umaru takes advantage of it. Hopefully, he becomes more balanced as a character as he gets more screen time. I would love to see more of his ideas and thoughts.
- Yes, Umaru’s snack games on point.
Himouto! Umaru-chan is streaming on Crunchyroll and is Licensed by Sentai Filmworks